Amazon Prime Day 2019 is just around the corner and what that means is potential bargains galore. The problem is: there’s so many things discounted that you need a guide to cut through the noise and deliver the discounts on the things you’ll actually want to buy.
UPDATED:Amazon Prime Day has been officially revealed at 15 July and will last a full 48 hours. The Amazon Prime landing page has a number of items to look out for on the day - what it is calling Prime Day Launches. On the day and the weeks leading up to the discount bonanza, we'll be keeping this page updated with the biggest deals - so bookmark now.
Shortlist is that guide. We will be trawling through Amazon so you don’t have to, sniffing out deals like a pig snuffling for truffles. The deals will be focused on the categories that you really care about: tech, food and drink, entertainment, fitness and home stuff.
But, first, a little bit of housekeeping: this is what you need to know about Amazon Prime Day.
What actually is Amazon Prime Day?
It’s that time of the year when Amazon Prime members get a treasure trove of discounts, thanks to their membership.
Is Amazon Prime Day actually just a day?
Don’t be silly - it's 48 hours long, with many a deal to be had.
When is Amazon Prime Day?
As we suspected, it's 15 July. Amazon Prime Day will last for 48 hours, ending a minute before midnight on the 16 of July.
Do I have to be an Amazon Prime member?
Yep, to get Amazon Prime Member deals you do need a membership. There is the 30-days’ free sign-up, though, which is always a good option if you are unsure whether to sign up forever.
Amazon Prime Day deals: what you can get right now
It’s not Prime Day, we know. But that canny lot at Amazon always through a discount in here and there - here’s some you can get right now.
Amazon Prime Day deals: what to expect
This is where it gets interesting. We don’t have a crystal ball, but what we do have is the best Amazon Prime Day deals that happened last year. It’s likely that you will see similar products discounted come July - here’s our pick of the 15 best.
- Nintendo Switch Neon with Super Mario Odyssey + Pro Controller: This is currently £379 but on Amazon Prime Day it was £329 - saving you £50.
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer with pouring shield: This is around £400 at the moment, but it dropped to £349 on Amazon Prime Day.
- Nespresso Vertuo Plus, by Krups: This is currently £150, with a £50 discount at the moment but on Amazon Prime Day it was £99.99.
- Aperol Aperitivo, 70cl: There’s a bit of a discount on this right now - it was £16.80 but it has dropped to £10. It was only £8.99 on Amazon Prime Day, so may actually be worth a purchase now.
- Plymouth original strength dry gin, 70cl: This one dropped to £18 on Amazon Prime Day but it’s discounted now for £20 - again, you may not want to wait for this one.
- Salter Nutripro blender: It’s currently £44 on Amazon but it dropped a tenner to £33 on Amazon Prime.
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones: These are a Prime discount favourite and are currently discounted to £199, from £249. It’s unlikely you will get a better deal on Amazon Prime Day.
- Huawei Watch 2 Sport smartwatch: This was £149.99 in the Amazon Prime Day sale but it’s currently discounted to £169, which is still a great deal. This is down from £279.
- Fire TV Stick with Alexa remote and Echo Dot: This Amazon Prime Deal was a cool £48 last year. Currently the same bundle is £78
- 65-inch LG 4K TV: Currently, a 65-inch OLED by LG is a cool £1999 so best to wait this one out as on Amazon Prime Day you could get one for £899.
- Asus Chromebook: £99 is a bargain for a Chromebook and it’s best to wait this one out as the cheapest on Amazon at the moment is £150.
- Kindle Paperwhite: Amazon was selling a Kindle Paperwhite for a brilliant £74.99 on Amazon Prime Day. It’s currently £99 with a £20 discount, which isn’t too shabby.
- Sony’s PlayStation VR: This is an interesting one - a PlayStation VR bundle was £230 last year on Amazon Prime Day but it’s currently £179. Will we see a bundle for £150? We reckon it’s likely.
- Fitbit Charge 2: The Fibit Charge 2 was a really low £79 on Amazon Prime Day. It’s currently £20 more expensive at £99.
- Xbox One S: The Xbox One S 1TB console was £199 on Amazon Prime Day last year. And it’s currently the same price, which is a great deal. Will it slip further? There’s certainly a chance but it’s a good deal at the moment.
Already have an account? Then head to our best Amazon Prime Series list to see what great shows are available through your subscription.