As the 23rd Bond film finally gets the official green-light, we can all breathe a much-needed sigh of relief. After 2008's Quantum of Solace, MGM's financial troubles placed the next chapter in temporary limbo.
But on November 9, 2012, Daniel Craig will return with Sam Mendes on board to direct. Few details are known at this stage but after the divisive Quantum, fans are hoping it's a return to form.
To celebrate the news, we've assembled a list of facts you may not know about Bond.
1. James Bond was named after an American ornithologist, a Caribbean bird expert who wrote a guide book Birds of the West Indies. Pierce Brosnan can be seen reading the book in Die Another Day.
2. Other actors considered for the role of James Bond include Liam Neeson, Clint Eastwood, Hugh Grant, Sam Neill, Burt Reynolds and Mel Gibson.
3. Roger Moore suffered from hoplophobia, a fear of firearms, which caused numerous re-shoots on set.
4. From Russia With Love was the last film ever seen by JFK.
5. George Lucas has stated that Sean Connery's work as Bond was one of the main inspirations for the character of Indiana Jones.
6. Roger Moore's running scenes were always performed by doubles as he thought he looked awkward.
7. Julie Christie was turned down for the role of Domino in Thunderball as producer Harry Saltzman deemed her bust "insufficiently awesome."
8. Muhammad Ali was so impressed by Christopher Lee on the set of The Man With The Golden Gun that he dedicated his next fight to him.
9. The script for Goldeneye had to go through extensive changes during production as it was virtually identical to True Lies, which was released at the time.
10. In the Swedish release of A View To A Kill, the line "What a view...to a kill" was subtitled as "What a view...yeah, Tokyo."
11. The real name of Jaws is Zbigniew Krycsiwiki.
12. The Rolling Stones were offered a chance to perform the theme tune for Goldeneye but they turned it down.
13. The full line "The name's Bond. James Bond." has only been used in A View To A Kill and Casino Royale.
14. Sean Connery wore a toupee in all his outings as Bond.
15. In Goldfinger, some of Pussy Galore's all-woman Flying Circus were played by men wearing blonde wigs.
16. Alfred Hitchcock was once set to direct From Russia With Love, with James Bond played by Cary Grant yet after Vertigo flopped at the box office, the idea was scrapped.
17. Guillermo Del Toro provided additional voices for Quantum of Solace as he's a friend of the director.
18. Casino Royale was the first Bond film to be approved by Chinese censors. The previous offerings were only available as illegal bootlegs.
(Image: All Star)