Steak for dinner is a treat – you’ve probably had a long day, or it’s a Friday and you fancy a night in with a good film, a nice beer or glass of wine, and a slab of juicy meat (with chips, of course).
Which is why everyone’s always open to improving their steak-cooking method – you’ve probably forked out a bit more cash than you usually would on dinner when you’re treating yourself to a steak, and so you really don’t want to mess it up.
You probably already have your method, but it might be worth giving it a tweak, because Gordon Ramsay, of being-really-fucking-good-at-cooking-and-also-saying-fucking fame, has released a video on his Facebook page teaching us how to cook the perfect – and I mean perfect – steak.
Here’s how he does it:
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper
- Add a touch of oil to a hot pan
- Put the steak into the pan, with a spring of rosemary and thyme
- Sear it on both sides, take it out and let it rest
- Add butter, mushrooms, chopped garlic and chopped shallots to the pan (for the flambé sauce)
- Add some Cognac to the pan and then add the steak back in
- Add a couple of tablespoons of stock and cream
- Bring it to the boil and start coating the steak with the sauce
- Finish with some chopped fresh parsley
What Gordon’s actually making here is Steak Diane, which is a steak with a flambé sauce which includes mushrooms, garlic, shallots, Cognac, cream, steak, rosemary and thyme. It goes without saying that incredible. Apologies Chef Ramsay, fucking incredible.
The best thing about it too? Not only is the sauce super quick to make, you don’t even need another pan to do it in, so you’re cutting down on washing up too. Cheers Gordon, we will absolutely be trying this at the weekend.