Fifteen of the top 25 jobs contain the same word. Here’s a clue: it’s not “Junior”
The thing with work is, well, it’s rubbish, isn’t it? There are good moments, and sometimes it feels rewarding to rise to a challenge or exceed your expectations or cause paradigms to shift or whatever, but realistically it’s a thing we do so we can pay for everything we have to pay for - a roof over one’s head, clothing and food for one’s family, crippling amounts of drugs and alcohol to get through the stress the work itself causes, and the occasional trip to the pictures.
Glassdoor have determined what they see as the best jobs in the UK, by looking at three factors: earning potential (based on median annual base salary), overall job satisfaction rating, and number of job openings. With each job assigned a score in each category, they’ve compiled the top 25.
The full list is here, but here’s the top five:
5. Sales Manager, with a median base salary of £42,000, 3.8 out of 5 for job satisfaction and 2,795 jobs available.
4. Product Manager, with a median base salary of £52,500, 3.8 out of 5 for job satisfaction and 1,697 jobs available.
3. Marketing Manager, with a median base salary of £42,500, 3.9 out of 5 for job satisfaction and 1,966 jobs available.
2. Finance Manager, with a median base salary of £60,000, 3.8 out of 5 for job satisfaction and 2,001 jobs available.
1. Audit Manager, with a median base salary of £52,000, 4.5 out of 5 for job satisfaction and 1,124 jobs available.
You may notice one word cropping up in all five of these roles. In fact, the word “Manager” is present in a whopping 15 of the top 25 jobs in the country. Four have “Developer” in, and three “Business”.
Strangely none feature the words “Journalist”, “Freelance” or “Poet”. Weird!
Right, we’re off to find out what an audit manager does and put a few lies on the ol’ CV…