Earlier today, writing a story about happy facts, I came across what appeared to be a completely bananas and very obviously made up fact.
“Late to the party, but the English city of Manchester was earlier known as mam-Chester because the two hills it was built on looked like a pair of tits. So Manchester means ‘titstown’” wrote Reddit user redchilliprod.
This, obviously, was fake news, and it was my duty as a serious journalist to investigate this claim and to debunk it, to bring truth to the people. So obviously I just went on Wikipedia and it actually turned out to be true.
“The name Manchester originates from the Latin name Mamucium or its variant Mancunium and the citizens are still referred to as Mancunians,” Wikipedia explains. “These are generally thought to represent a Latinisation of an original Brittonic name, either from mamm- (“breast”, in reference to a “breast-like hill”) or from mamma (“mother”, in reference to a local river goddess).”
So Manchester, essentially, is named after a pair of tits.
There are also a bunch of other delightful Manchester facts you might not know.
- It’s where the Vegetarian Society was founded, for one, and its famous viaduct took 11 million bricks to build.
- More than twenty Nobel Prize winners have come from Greater Manchester. That is a lot.
- The city has 98 train stations, which is also a lot.
- It was the world’s first industrialised city.
- It was home to the first ever “artificial waterway fully independent of natural rivers”.
- It is - as if we needed to tell you - the birthplace of a whole host of amazing bands like Oasis, The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Joy Division, New Order, the Hollies, The 1975, The Smiths… we could go on.
- It’s the home of Coronation Street, the world’s longest-running TV soap opera in production.
- It has two quite good football teams that you may have heard of.
- It was the birthplace of the legendary artist L.S. Lowry.
- AND it played host to the first instance of the atom being split (by Ernest Rutherford in 1917).
But nothing will ever beat the fact that Manchester, greatest city in the world, was named after a pair of boobs.