Dependable, richly adored the world over, always able to fill a hole - they're the Claude Makélélé of the food world.
Nodding in agreement? You'll be pleased to hear we've teamed with US burger outfit Texas Joe's to bring you one very special burger and 8 more of the most offbeat recipes you can have a go at yourself.
Hawaiian BBQ Salmon Burgers with Coconut Caramelised Pineapple
• 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
• 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
• pinch of cayenne
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1 pound fresh, raw salmon (skin removed)
• 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
• 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 4 slices swiss cheese
• pickeled jalopenos (optional)
• 4 king hawaiian hamburger buns or whole wheat buns, toasted
• 1 avocado, sliced or mashed (optional)
Coconut Caramelized Pineapple
• 2 tablespoon coconut oil
• 4 large pineapple rings (preferably from a fresh pineapple)
• 2 tablespoon toasted coconut (optional)
• In a small bowl combine the BBQ sauce, pineapple juice, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper and mix well to combine. Set aside for later.
• Add salmon to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it’s somewhat ground. You can also chop the salmon very finely with a sharp knife.
• Remove and add salmon to a bowl with the panko bread crumbs, parmesan and 2 tablespoons of the hawaiian BBQ sauce from step 1 (save the rest for serving) and mix with a spoon until just combined. Form into 4 equally sized burgers. Heat a skillet (or grill) over medium-high heat with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Cook burgers on each side until golden, about 3-4 minutes per side. During the last minute of cooking add the swiss cheese and the jalapeños, if using.
• In a separate skillet heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and place the pineapple slices in the pan. Cook for about 3-4 mins, flip and cook another 3-4 minutes.
• To assemble place a piece of lettuce on the bottom of a bun, then the burger, mashed or sliced avocado and a ring of pineapple. Drizzle each burger with the remaining Hawaiian BBQ sauce.
Courtesy of Half Baked Harvest
• 2 lbs Ground Beef
• 1 1/2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce (for more daring, savory depth, use 2 tablespoons)
• 2 cloves Garlic, crushed or fine mince
• 1 teaspoon Sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper
• 4-6 Hamburger buns
• condiments of your choice and cheese makes it extra decadent and special
• In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, garlic, sugar and black pepper. Add the marinade to the ground beef and combine until all the ingredients are mixed together well. Refrigerate the beef for at least 30 minutes. We like to allow the beef to marinade overnight in the fridge for optimum flavor.
• Gently form meat into patties. Form them to the size of your burger or slider buns.
• Cook on a skillet or grill. (1/2 patties on a med./high grill take about 3 min. per side for med. rare burger. Heat temp., thickness, etc. all affect cooking times) Assemble your burger with your favourite condiments and treat yourself to the cheeseburger version.
Courtesy of Whiteonricecouple.com
Sweet and Smoky Bacon Brat Burger
• 8 slices bacon
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• 1 pound ground beef
• 2 tablespoons Robert Rothschild Farm Anna Mae's Smoky Mustard
• 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
• 4 brats
• 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
• 4 pretzel buns
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
• Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Lay bacon slices on rack and sprinkle with brown sugar.
• Bake for 15 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine ground beef, Robert Rothschild Farm Anna Mae's Smoky Mustard and steak seasoning.
• Divide mixture into four hamburgers.
• Place brats and hamburgers onto grill and cook until brats are cooked through and burgers are cooked until desired temperature. Melt a slice of cheese over each burger.
To assemble burgers, spoon additional mustard on both top and bottom bun. Place burger on bottom bun and top with two slices of bacon. Cut brats in half and place on top of bacon. Place top bun on top of brat.
Courtesy of Melanie Makes
Thai Chilli Beef Burgers
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
• 1/2 cup bread crumbs
• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 baguette
• 2 cups shredded lettuce
• Sweet chili sauce
• In a bowl, combine the ground beef with the red curry paste, bread crumbs, chopped cilantro, egg, light soy sauce and black pepper. Mix the ingredient together with your hand until sticky.
• Divide into 8 portions and shape into mini burger patties.
• Heat up the grill and cook this over high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
• Cut the baguette (lengthwise) into 4. Assemble each with 2 cooked mini burger patties, shredded lettuce and a little sweet chili sauce. Serve warm.
Courtesy of Rasa Malaysia
Tropical Chicken Burgers
• 300g chicken breast, meat only
• 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
• 2 green onions, finely chopped
• ½ mango, peeled and cut into little cubes
• 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
• 30g fresh coconut meat, grated (you could also use dry, unsweetened)
• ¼ cup coconut flour
• ¼ cup parsley, finely choped
• 1 egg
• ½ tsp black pepper
• ½ tsp Himalayan salt
• Garnish Ideas
• Roasted Bell Peppers
• Fresh Coconut Meat Shavings
• Mixed Greens
• Cut the chicken into small cubes and grind it in your food processor, on pulse, until it has the consistency of ground chicken.
• Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix with clean hands until all the bits and pieces are nice and uniformly distributed.
• Divide the meat mixture into 4 servings and shape into patties. Set aside (you can also refrigerate the patties at this point and cook the at a later time)
• Preheat your outdoor grill to high. Or, if you are making these indoors, preheat a non-stick pan sprayed with olive oil over medium-high heat.
• Lower the heat to medium and place the patties on the grill (or in the pan) and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until the patties are cooked through.
• Serve immediately, bun entirely optional!
Courtesy of the Healthy Foodie
Lamb Pitta Burgers
• 1 tbsp Cumin
• 1 tbsp, Sesame seeds
• 1 clove Garlic
• 600g minced Lamb
• 1 Eggs each
• 8 each Pita breads
• Mint leaves
• Toast the cumin and sesame seeds in a large dry frying pan (skillet) for 30 seconds then set aside.
• Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in the pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft but not brown.
• Place the lamb in a large bowl and add the cooked onion and garlic, the chopped mint and the egg. Reserve a few of the toasted seeds for the garnish and add the rest to the meat mixture. Season with salt and pepper and mix well with your hands then shape into 8 patties.
• Wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper then heat the remaining oil and fry the meat patties for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
• Serve the burgers in the pita breads with a spoon of hummus in each garnished with the mint leaves and the reserved seeds.
Courtesy of Fine Dining Lovers
San Gennaro Sausage and Pepper Burgers
• 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 red or yellow bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 1/4 pounds fresh spicy (hot) Italian sausage (may use mild)
• 1 (16-inch square) focaccia bread, cut into quarters
• 4 lettuce leaves
• Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the pepper, onion, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and fry, stirring occasionally until soft and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
• Remove the sausage meat from the casings, then form into 4 (4 1/2-inch) patties. Heat a large heavy skillet or griddle over medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Sear the burgers, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
• Slice the focaccia pieces in half horizontally to make a top and bottom bun. Put lettuce then the burgers on the bottom portion of the bread, add a mound of pepper-onion mixture and cover with the focaccia top. Serve.
Courtesy of Cooking Channel TV
Jalapeño Popper Burgers
• 1.25 pounds ground turkey or lean ground beef
• 2 tablespoons your favorite meat seasoning I like Dale’s Seasoning
• 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning like Tony Chachere’s
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 cup Mexican blend cheese shredded
• 1/2 cup pickled jalapeño peppers
• hamburger buns or Ciabatta rolls
• sliced tomatoes
• brown mustard optional
• In a large bowl, stir together ground meat, seasoning sauce, Cajun seasoning, and cumin until combined.
• Using a large disher or 1/3-cup measuring scoop, make eight balls of meat of about the same size.
• Working on wax paper, flatten one meat portion to about a 4” circle. Pile about 2 tbsp. of cheese in the center of the patty, about an inch away from the edges. Place a few jalapeños on top of the cheese.
• Flatten another patty to the same size, and carefully place it over the first one. Use a fork to seal the edges. Repeat for the other three burgers.
• Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Cook each burger approximately 7 minutes per side, until juices run clear and internal temperature is 165 degrees F. (Be careful when transferring burgers to the skillet and flipping them over that you do not tear the meat, as this will cause the filling to leak out.)
• Spread each side of bun very lightly with brown mustard, and gently place cooked burger on bottom bun. Stack lettuce and tomato on top of the patty, top with bun. Eat and smile!
And finally, the Texas Tornado Burger
1 kg x mince chuck
• 1 kg x mince rump
• 2 x fresh jalapenos de seeded and chopped
• 1/2 tbsp x Dijon mustard
• splash of Worcestershire sauce
• 20g of salt and pepper mix (1/2 ½ same as brisket)
• 10-12 Burger Buns
• Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly with hands.
• Weigh out balls of 180g and Shape using a metal ring
• Cook for 2-3 minutes until nicely medium rare – and slightly pink in the middle.
• Top with cheddar cheese and pulled pork, brisket and a sausage cut in two and split down the middle.
Courtesy of Texas Joe's