Jeremy Clarkson has 'signed up' to host a 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?' reboot
We didn't expect this
Jeremy Clarkson - a man famous for driving cars so fast his face falls off and getting angry about steak - has reportedly signed up to host a rebooted version of classic ITV quiz show Who Wants to be a Millionaire?.
The show was previously hosted by Chris Tarrant for the entirety of its 16-year run - it aired from September 1998 to February 2014 - but as the Great ‘90s Revival continues, TV execs are keen to get it back on our screens with a fresh face.
The deal for Clarkson to take the reins is apparently done and dusted - the show is being rebooted by the same company responsible for bringing back Blind Date, with Paul O’Grady at the helm.
While rumours circulated last year that Clarkson was in line for the job, it still comes as a bit of surprise - it’s hard to picture Clarkson outside of a car show, and yet we can definitely imagine him delivering the famous line, “But we don’t want to give you that…”
A source told The Sun on Sunday: “Jeremy is a huge character and the bosses are convinced he is going to come in and really make the show his own.
“As well as interviewing contestants and giving answers, he’ll be injecting plenty of humour.
“The show was a huge hit last time around and the hope is that it’ll live up to that success the second time around.”
Over the show’s initial 16-year history, just five people claimed the top prize, with Judith Keppel being the first back in November 2000.
The show was famously rocked by scandal in 2001, when it was discovered Charles Ingram had cheated to win the million pounds. He had his wife and a friend in the audience cough whenever Tarrant said the right answer while reading them from the list, and all three were found guilty of “procuring the execution of a valuable security by deception” on 7 April 2003.
(Images: Rex / ITV)