1. Jessica Chastain: Like Ryan Gosling, Chastain could do no wrong in 2011. With just two previous film credits, the smart and beautiful Californian came seemingly from nowhere to add seven films to her CV this year, including The Help, The Tree Of Life and Take Shelter.
2. Kristen Wiig: The writer and star of Bridesmaids beat the boys and gave comedy producer and director Judd Apatow his biggest ever hit.
3. Adele: Six Grammys, the year’s biggest selling album worldwide and a refreshingly down-to-earth attitude.
4. Pauline Pearce: Better known as the Heroine Of Hackney. With her foul-mouthed reprimand of rioters, she spoke for a whole nation.
5. Vicky McClure: Followed a fully deserved Bafta win for This Is England ’86 with an equally stunning performance in its sequel.