Universal have announced a release date for Jurassic World 3, which will acquire a fun subtitle between now and then.
Even though it’s still four months until the second/fifth film, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, a third will be coming on June 11th 2021. No details of who will star have been released, but the assumption is that Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard will be there, because there’s no way they’re going to die in Fallen Kingdom because they’re Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard. It’s set to be directed by Colin Trevorrow, who did Jurassic World, and co-written by him and Emily Carmichael, who also wrote the upcoming Pacific Rim: Uprising. Trevorrow described it as “the concluding chapter to our trilogy”.
Making another sequel before this one comes out might seem a bit overconfident, but it’s pretty much guaranteed to do well - Jurassic World is currently the fourth highest-grossing film of all time. It was third, but The Force Awakens nudged it down. Both the upcoming second one and the untitled third one will make so much money it’ll border on silly. And, what we’ll have is the Jurassic Park trilogy and the Jurassic World trilogy. Nice. They’ll probably give it about six years and start on another one and all, because come on, everyone likes making money. They’ll just Star Wars the hell out of it. They should use the title that was once floated for the second film, Jurassic War, if they do another trilogy, because that’s badass.
Big questions about the second film:
- Jeff Goldblum has described his part as very small. Why? He is Jeff Goldblum.
- The plot involves Pratt and Howard returning to the island to save the dinosaurs from a volcanic eruption. BUT WHY? They keep eating people. Leave ‘em. If you want dinosaurs you can make new ones, right? Like if a friend of yours died on a mission to save some dinosaurs, you’d be sad, but you’d also go “Well, yeah, they eat people. Wow, this seems like such a waste.”
- Will the dinosaurs end up weaponised like Vincent D’Onofrio’s character was planning in the last film? If not, why not? That sounded rad.
- If they had contrived a hip-hop themed storyline instead and called it Jurassic 5, would that have been stupid or great?
Big questions about the third film:
- At what point does it become acceptable to reveal who’s in it, given that it constitutes a spoiler for the second one?
- B.D. Wong and Jeff Goldblum will both have been in three Jurassic films. Will either of them get to be in a fourth?
- Can they do a plot where they make dragons as well, because that would be amazing?
Here’s the trailer for Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom, out on June 11th this year: