Getting married is supposed to be the best day of your life – it’s the culmination of a (usually) long relationship, a year of planning, loads of money – it’s a big deal, basically. So you want it to go smoothly and for everyone (especially you) to have a nice time – no obstacles, no hiccups, no drama.
Well, UN-LUCK-EE to a poor man in India who was all set to marry his fiance in a lovely ceremony surrounded by his friends and family. Unlucky, because it all went a tad awry – namely because his younger brother ran up, pushed him to the side and married the bride instead.
During this particular type of wedding, a tradition is carried out whereby the priest requests that the groom tie a holy thread called a thali around the bride’s neck. However, at the last minute, the groom’s “bro” nipped up and put another thali around her neck. By then it was too late, and the marriage was official.
So what on God’s green arse happened next? Well, a number of things:
- The bride’s family asked the bride to remove the thali.
- She refused.
- It turned out she had been seeing the younger brother all along.
- Regardless, the bride’s family beat the shit out of him.
- The groom threw his thali away and stormed off.
- The family ripped the brother’s thali off.
- The girl refused to marry anyone else but the younger brother.
- I do not know what happened next, but I bet it was interesting.
Rumours seem to be that the bride’s family is actually relenting and allowing her to marry the sneaky sibling, but not surprisingly they probably want to keep it quiet. Bit embarrassing and all that.
All in all, not a great day, basically. There are many things that can ruin a wedding – rain, a bad best man’s speech, a pissed up uncle – but I’d hedge my bets that your actual brother stealing your wife is top of the pile. Not for me, that. Don’t fancy it. You’re alright mate. Actually, no.