- US reporter and cameraman killed live on air this morning
- Third person being interviewed also shot and injured, recovering from emergency surgery where she is in a stable condition
- Gunman appears to have taken his own life following a highway pursuit
- Victims named as Alison Parker, 24, and Adam Ward, 27
- Image of the gunman currently being circulated from new's interrupted footage
- Local officials identify suspect of murdering two journalists as 41-year-old Vester Lee Flanagan II
A US TV reporter and cameraman have been killed after what’s been reported as a shooting incident during a live broadcast.
WDBJ President Jeff Marks announced on air at 8:45am (EDT) that WDBJ reporter Alison Parker, 24 and photographer Adam Ward, 27, had both died. The attack took place at 6:45am (EDT).
A video posted to YouTube shows the ill-fated report being interrupted by gunshots before Parker is heard screaming and taking cover as the camera falls to the ground.
A third person who has been named as the head of the Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce, Vicki Gardner is currently being treated in hospital for injuries sustained from a gunshot wound to the back according to the Roanoke Times.
It’s believed that she was being interviewed at the time of the attack, some which was captured on video during the WDBJ’s morning broadcast.
Police are currently searching for suspect after multiple shots were fired at the Bridgewater Plaza in Bedford County, Virginia. According to Marks’ statement at present the Virginia State Police have not revealed any suspects and there is currently no known motive.
WDBJ-7 said on Twitter: “It is with extreme sadness that we report WDBJ7’s Alison Parker and Adam Ward were killed in an attack this morning,”
“We are trying to figure out what just happened — thank you all for your concern and kind words.”
This is a breaking story that will be updated as more information becomes available.