Coleslaw. Salad for lazy people.
We've nothing against this fast food side-dish - it's perfectly fine, honest. We just never thought we'd see the day when somebody took it as seriously as this guy.
Hailing from Haverhill, Massachusetts, Ed is the proud editor of Coleslaw Review, a Facebook page dedicated to reviewing ‘slaw in great detail.
Already a hit with friends, once Reddit got a whiff of his mission - "reviewing coleslaw from local eateries spanning KFC to the regional hospital café", the legend was born. And try as we might, we are yet to find a dollop of sarcasm or layer of wryness hiding underneath all the cabbage chat. The man really does love his coleslaw.
And should you be wondering what eight steps one should follow when critiquing coleslaw, here you go:
1. Liquid content (Is it too watery, too dry, or just right?)
2. Size of vegetables (I dunno, Lisa came up with this one.. are the shreddings too long or too short.. or perfecto?)
3. Taste (if you need an explanation - open the bloody dictionary.. does it taste good, simple, don't complicate it)
4. Texture (Is the coleslaw of a good consistency?)
5. Presentation (Is the coleslaw slopping over the bowl or cup? Is it in a styrofoam cup? Or is it in a nice quality little bowl? If on the plate with the rest of your meal, does it look like it was slopped on with an ice cream scooper or did someone take care to place it next to the other foods on your plate with TLC - totally BS'd my way through that description... lol)
6. Vinegary (not sure I have the spelling correct on this but whatever. we like vinegar in coleslaw. So, besides taste.. does it seem to have a good amount of vinegar in the coleslaw because we have found that a lot of places seem to be shy with the vinegar - WTF...)
7. Average your ratings above. Add them and then divide by 6. The calculator is on your wicked smartphone.
8. Totally optional... leave an overall comment
Unfortunately, one of the downsides to Ed's newly found internet fame is dealing with the haters, including the anonymous user Eating Potato Chips, who’s been trash-talking coleslaw on his Facebook page.
But forget the slander, here are our highlights so far.