Fried chicken is an amazing thing.
Whether treating yourself on a boring day at work or drunkenly guzzling still-a-bit-pink breaded strips on late-night public transport, it seems to permeate into most people’s lives at some point.
But imagine being able to enjoy fried chicken without having to drown out the cries of millions of chickens that enters your mind as soon as the batter hits the oil- well with this amazing recipe that’s finally possible.
Vegan Fried Chicken
• 1.5 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
• 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast
• 1 tbsp Vegan Stock Powder
• 1 tbsp Chicken Flavouring/ Roast Potato Seasoning
• 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
• 1 tbsp Almond Butter
• 1.5 cups Warm Water
• Flour (for coating)
• Almond milk (for coating)
• Rapeseed Oil (for frying)
Sticky Tamarind Sauce
• 2 tbsp Tamarind Sauce
• 2 tbsp Plum Sauce
• 2 tbsp Agave
• Spring Onion, chopped
• Vegan mayo
• Nigella seeds
Method for the chicken
1. In a large bowl mix the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, vegan stock powder, chicken flavouring, garlic powder and almond butter.
2. Mix until fully combined.
3. Add the water to form a dough. Add extra water if the dough is too dry. You are aiming for a flexible dough that isn’t too sticky.
4. Knead for 10-15 minutes.
5. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
6. Divide the mixture in chicken shaped pieces - these will double in size so don’t make them too big.
7. Once the water has come to the boil drop in the chicken pieces and boil for 40 minutes. Stir the mixture every 10 minutes to ensure the pieces don’t stick together.
8. Remove from the water and place on a cooling rack.