Jim Broadbent. Broady. Old Jimmy. Jim Joe Bendable. Beloved British star of... well, everything. Seriously, his IMDB credit list is like eight-mouse-scrolls deep - and it's about to get even longer, as he's the first new cast member announced for HBO's seventh season of Game of Thrones.
Entertainment Weekly has word that Broadbent has landed a 'significant' role for season seven - but that's all HBO is saying for now.
The GoT obsessives of Watchers on the Wall have recently leaked a list of new roles HBO was looking to cast for the upcoming season (mildest of spoilers to follow), but none of the descriptions really line up with the skills of Oscar winning Broady:
- General: in the age range 40 – 55. He’s a senior military officer, and they’re looking for a white actor who uses the British RP accent. The actor is needed for the week of 6 September, which is too short for a 'significant' role, right?
- Priest: in his 60’s. He’s a venerable priest with moral authority and gravitas. The show is seeking a white actor, using an RP accent, with characterful face for this part. Again, Broadbent is too young.
- Warrior: in the 35 – 45 age range. The character is a tough-looking bruiser with the attack skills of a pit bull, and the actor needs to be great at fighting. Again, not Broadbent-worthy.
- Gate Guard: in his 20's. No amount of CGI would make this worth Broadbent's time.
- City Guard: in his 30's. See above.
- Merchant: in his 40’s. The merchant appears at an inn during a busy evening. They’re seeking a character actor, for a non-combatant role. His appearance is more open, including ethnicity/race, most probably set in Essos. It could work for Broadbent, but then, he's got the RP accent that would suit a King's Landing-based character.
- Young Lord in his late 20’s. So, no.
- Lieutenant in his 20’s. Again, not a chance.
If you've got any ideas which characters Broadbent would be perfect for, have a crack at suggesting them in the comments below. Speculate away.