Being on Forbes' list of Most Overpaid Actors is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, you're being publicly decreed a waste of money and your agent's probably going to have a tougher time demanding piles of diamonds and sports cars for the next movie you do. On the other hand, you are, by virtue of being on the list, being incredibly well paid.
All Hollywood's stars were ranked based on the worldwide box office performance of their last three films versus the salary they were paid. The actor judged least worth his fee is Adam Sandler, who had an average return of $3.40 for every dollar spent on him. That's due to the limited success of That's My Boy (cost $70 million, including $15 million for Sandler, and grossed $57 million) and Jack and Jill (cost $80 million, including $15 million for Sandler, and grossed $150). The list doesn't take into account Grown Ups 2, which grossed $246 million, because it fell outside the designated dates, but it does show Sandler isn't quite washed up yet.
The most overpaid female was, unsurprisingly, Katherine Heigl. She's an actress who was hailed as a new rom-com queen, making hits from the so-so 27 Dresses and The Ugly Truth, but then started saying yet to any old rubbish, seeing flops like One For The Money and Killers bring her value to just $3.50 to every dollar spent.
The full top ten is:
1. Adam Sandler - $3.40 for every dollar
2. Katherine Heigl - $3.50 for every dollar
3. Reese Witherspoon - $3.90 for every dollar
4. Nicolas Cage - $6 for every dollar
5. Kevin James - $6.10 for every dollar
6. Denzel Washington - $8.30 for every dollar
7. Steve Carell - $10 for every dollar
8. Jennifer Aniston - $10.60 for every dollar
9. Matt Damon - $10.60 for every dollar
10. Ryan Reynolds - $10.70 for every dollar
We're sure they're all crying into their big Scrooge McDuck vaults of gold as we speak.