Never underestimate a first impression. It's why we'll never wear a vest to a first date again.
So while you might be putting all your dinner party efforts into making a crowd-pleasing main course and a squeal-inducing dessert, it's always wise to start off with a bang. To do this, we recommend going for a chicken liver parfait, an easily appreciated dish that'll impress your guests from the outset.
To get the perfect recipe, we spoke to the guys at cool new Covent Garden restaurant Heaton, Butler & Bayne (hbbrestaurant.co.uk) who shared their secrets.
For 1 normal size terrine
600g clean chicken livers
190g soft butter
3 eggs + 1 yolk
4 sprigs of thyme
1 clove of garlic
1 large banana shallots
1 bay leave
Fine sea salt and pepper from the mill to taste
• Soak liver in ½ milk and ½ water for an hour
• Leave all ingredients to reach room temperature
• Slice the shallot, reduce alcohol with shallots, garlic and herbs
• Discard the herbs
• Drain livers, mix everything together using a liquidiser
• Check for seasoning then pas thru a fine sieve
• Poor into a greased terrine mould
• Bake in a tray with boiling water at 120 degrees for 1 hour
• Check with a probe, it should reach 72 degrees in the centre
• Leave to cool, then refrigerate overnight
Check out Heaton, Butler & Bayne at Floral Street, Corner of Garrick Street, Covent Garden, London WC2 hbbrestaurant.co.uk